Thalagran; allegory

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Upon his mighty fortress,
In turret high and great,
stood Thalagran, King of Formadis,
Lord of Cotni, Emperor of Olmarait.

The greatest of all mortal humanity.
mighty beyond spears and swords.
With strength that few may comprehend,
With armies and heralds and hordes.

"Hear me!" called out Thalagran,
"See the lands, once theirs, now mine;
I crack the bows of beasts and men,
Hearken! Am I not divine?

"The Phoenixes subdued, beneath my might,
The horses of the Korasarh-men are mine,
I seize the inheritance of kings, and barons' rich birthrights!
Who wears the golden silk of the Makri, of quality so fine?

'Who drove the Firk-Notts from their lands?
Who broke the Jungle Tribes,
Who's army is as a beach's grains of sand?
Who made war that words cannot describe?

'I have built myself and empire,
With my hands, from nothing to all,
I, Lord of water and fire,
See all my foes now fall

'Am I not mighty?
Am I not terrible?
Am I not the unsightly,
Am I not horrible!

'I challenge thee, oh I challenge thee!
I shall reach for the skies,
The stars shall soon bow to me,
I reach for heavens high!"

Then Thalagran looke upwards,
And raised a iron fist,
Upon that time he heard,
A voice like lion in the mist.

"Hearken, oh King Thalagran of Formalis,
Lord you once were and once had been,
See, that this night your archers shoot and miss!
See the faces of your generals, to turn to pure chagrin.

'You cannot make the ground to shake,
Thou cannot make the moon to quake,
you cannot crack the mountians or the hills,
Thalagran cannot make winds blow at will!

'You cannot strike the starry hosts,
You cannot make the wheat to plant,
You haven't the realm you want the most,
you cannot make flowers grow at want!

'You cannot make to mute to talk,
You cannot make life of nought,
You annot make the lame to walk,
You cannot find the immortal life you sought!

'For who, Oh Thalagran, can do as such I said!
I have let you build this empire of might,
Your spears are of my iron, steel, and lead!
For this land I have given you a right!

And as it was given to thee,
Thalagran the proud, for now, do as you may,
But you will fall tonight, and all may see.
Hearken! I am Yahweh!"

Thalagran tossed his forehead high,
and waved his iron fist at the Voice,
He roared in voice heard far and nigh,
Then slipped to the safety of his castle.

That very night, in mauve, slow, evening,
His foes stormed his castle-grounds,
And heard that day from his foes, the sound of them singing,
"Thalagran is dead! See his lifeless body bound!"

And so the dominions of Thalagran,
crumbled into dust,
His legacy, rendered desolate by sand,
As all proud kingdoms must.

Now he and his kingdom is no more,
His lands where haughty buzzards now hide,
None can tell where his castle was before,
The results of his foolishness and pride.

Here I end my story,
of Thalagran, KIng of Formalis,
Lord of Cotni, Emperor of Olmarait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment