CNY and Family Tree

Friday, January 30, 2009


Happy Chinese New Year, readers! Sorry I haven't blogged for so long. My family had an extended trip in Kuantan (Dad's hometown). My grandaunts' good food, clean beaches, starry nights. . .ahh.


For some unexplainable reason, I felt urged to start recording my family tree this year. Since most of my elderly relatives (the ones who knew all my ancestors' names) were back in Kuantan, I thought it most strategically savvy to start my research while the family was balik kampung-ing this year.
Names were confusing. There were stories and insights attached to either this Great-grandfather or that great-grandfather. Apparently my great-great granfather (on my paternal grandpa's side) had ten children. I guess that was the norm in those days. Question upon question, relative upon relative, and I've just begun my search! (Sigh!)
In any case, it was an eye-opening experience, an insight into the lives and hardships and stories of the men and women who came before me in my family. To think of that great cloud of people whom I never knew, yet inseparably linked to, takes me aback. I see the pictures of my great-grandparents in a new light. How many were saved? How many years of hard work did it take for my old relatives to build up the blessings that I now enjoy? I wonder.

1 comments:

Tricia said...

I have often looked to the stories of my parents and grandparents as an ongoing narrative in which I can more meaningfully locate mine. Makes me realize how much they sacrificed for the future of their descendants, yet un-birthed.
Yep, like you, I am awed.

Post a Comment