Thoughts of Eve at Death

Sunday, January 31, 2010

I was Eve,
Of the first rib and with the first man,
Of the first breath God blew upon a woman,

I was Eve,
Of Eden, where the jasmines were,
And we would stand amongst the trees, the sweet, not-to-cloying scent of flowers hanging.

I was Eve,
With Adam, as he built for me that First boat, made of the palm trees,
And we slipped out onto the lake and were glad.

I was Eve,
Took the Serpent's Lies, of "life beyond life", 'and might beyond might',
All folly, all folly, all for the Fruit that Looked Good.

I was Eve,
When Jehovah came to me, and I met not His gaze and was ashamed for the Sin.
Amidst the falling Jasmines,

I was Eve,
Banished, from the Tree and the Serpent and the Boat on the Lake

I was Eve,
Bearing Cain,
And Abel, who was slain,
And Seth,

I was Eve,
Nursing Adam in my arms as the pink warmth of life left him,
And the black cold of death was left behind.

I was Eve,
And I shall die soon,
But where are my Children? Where is the Boat on the Lake by the Palm Trees? Where are the Jasmines?

I am Eve,
They are away, and I know not where.
But I will die soon, Elohim,

I am Eve,
My breath is fading under the wind,
And I am sorry.

I was Eve,
Take me, for I am repentant,
Take me to the lake with the boat and the jasmines,
I am sad, but hopeful.
May I be.

Amen, Elohim

1 comments:

Tricia said...

I am Eve
I stand awake
and awash with the
splendour of Lamb's blood

and a newborn babe
in swaddling cloth

watched by shimmering beings

Post a Comment