The Ice Legend: Introduction.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This one's an story I thought would be fun to write.


It was winter in the North, and the harsh, icy, bitter winds whipped across a barren, desolate island mercilessly. An ancient polar bear sat on that desolate island jutting out of the wide sea, staring wistfully at the cold stone ruins of some structure that stood on the center of the isle.


The ruins seemed to have been once a mighty building, a fortress, maybe. Its past glory and splendor seemed to have faded into the ice, but it still seemed to stand proudly, regally, amidst its vast habitat of white and blue, not because of what it now was, but because of what it had been.

Beside the ancient bear was his young grandson, who sat, somewhat puzzled. For a young polar bear who had been so accustomed to the guttural snarls and growling gurrs of his bear-clan's complicated tongue, such silence seemed unbearable.

Finally, after a period of time, the Grandson ventured to ask in his small voice, "Grandpapa, why did you take me with you on this trip? It's so awfully lonely out here."

The old wrinkled bear turned from the ruins, and bent his old head downwards, meeting the curious eyes of his grandson. "Well," he said, "I come here because it is," he paused, "part of the story of our family."

"Ohh. That story," the young bear stopped to scratch an itch on his belly. "Could you tell it to me?"

"It's a sad story. You don't want to hear it."

"But I do! I know Papa says you'll tell me the story when I'm bigger. But I am a big bear! Look, my teeth are growing big and sharp, see?" he opened his mouth as wide as he could to illustrate the point, "Couldn't you tell me now?"

The ancient bear sighed. his grandson should know, when he's still young. Some things are harder to understand when you grow too old and fill your head with all sorts of knowledge, he thought.

"All right. Sit by me, Thervin. The tale is a long one, so it's best you make yourself warm."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is just the intro, I'll continue the next episode . . . someday.

1 comments:

Post a Comment